I’m a couple days late in writing these but I’ve been thinking about them for a while now.
Most of my 2010 resolutions are centered around my business at Sprout Venture, however, as a “small business” owner I feel my success and dedication effects my family the most. So, while I talk the business talk my family is always first.
- Improve my acquisition process – When I look back at 2009 this is one of the areas with the most return, just improving a little will cause a big impact on my performance. Right now it takes me too long to create a response for an RFP. Goal: Build out an RFP template for prospective clients that need direction and build more automated responses.
- Build out local clientele – I’m finding more and more advantages to working locally vs. virtually. Goal: Build this to 20% of our gross income.
- Expand my specialty – Most of my past experience before starting Sprout Venture was ecommerce and marketing, in 2009 ecommerce only accounted for 15%, marketing was zero. Don’t get me wrong WordPress development has propelled my business to where it’s at but with my experience of multiple $1.5 million + ecommerce projects and $3 million pay-per-click marketing budgets I need to get back into this specialty, especially for local clients and my future. Goal: 20-25% of my overall business.
- Get more done – I need to line up my extend projects a little better in order to rapidly move in and out of them. For example, if I find myself with an hour to burn I need to spend it working on Search Everything or working on completing this blog’s theme. Goal: Unmeasurable unless I start tracking my hours better.
- Learn – I’d love to say 20% of my week should be spend on extend projects and learning but I know that’s not possible. Goal: Learn Sympfony ( or similar ) and …
- Build an iPhone app - I’m not looking for another business model, I’m looking to this as a learning experience with another programming language. Goal: Release at least app X ( for Sara ) and another unknown for Avery or Sawyer to play with .
- Routine work outs – It’s the resolution that almost everyone has…I desperately need to start using my bowflex dumbbells and get into a running routine. Goal: Lift after every run and run 250 miles in the year.
- Play golf more – Not sure if Avery is ready to drive the cart around in the afternoon but since we’re paying for the California weather I might as well enjoy it more. Goal: Break par at a “good” course. Out of all my goals this might be the hardest.
- Grow financially – My three year goal when I started was almost reached this year ( year one ). It’s amazing how blessed we are with business while so many ( even within our family ) are affected by this “economic downturn”. Goal: Gross after business expenses ( sub contracting, ect.. ) xxxk.
- Business reviews – In order to accomplish the majority of these goals I’ll need to do what I do with most of my clients, have a proper review. Goal: 45 day business review.
I’m missing a few but these are my primary focuses for 2010.
A 2009 review should be following this post shortly, I know a little backwards but I have a lot of projects to gather and link.